Spring is here and that means craft fairs, farmers’ markets, and outdoor festivals are upon us! Craft fairs are a great way to get out and meet independent artisans, especially those who don’t sell in “brick & mortar” shops. The craft fair scene isn’t just for crochet and knit products, although there are some incredible examples of these yarn arts out there. You can find virtually anything one can make by hand, from high quality cold-processed soaps like those made by T&J Soaps to completely original, handmade toys for kids like the crayon journals by Off The Hook by Brooke or Stuffies by Feathered Nest Studio (my own little arts business) to one-of-a-kind wallets and fashion accessories by Revel. And jewelry! Everything from steampunk by The FamiLee Jewels to fused glass by Willow Glass, just to name a few. This little list doesn’t even begin to account for the wealth of talented handmade artists in the Capital District.
Little fairs and festivals hold a thrill in that you never know what you are going to find. If you like a treasure hunt, the craft fair circuit is sure to please! So this spring, spend a weekend checking out some local emerging or indie artists and feel good that your money is staying local and supporting handmade goods.
Here’s just a brief look at some upcoming craft fairs and outdoor markets/festivals, all with free admission and a chance to see some great local artisans:
- Friday April 29th 3:30-7pm Greenfest at The Bethlehem Children’s School, Slingerlands 518. 478-0224 (I’ll have a booth at this one, so stop by and tell me the name of your favorite local artist and maybe I will spotlight them on Artolution!)
- Saturday April 30th 9:00-3:00pm Mother’s Day Spring Craft Fair at Sunshine DCC, East Greenbush 518.477-4156
- Starting May 1st (1st and 3rd Sundays, May 1- October 16) 10:00am-2:00pm Schenectady Flea Market & Craft Fair at the Schenectady County Public Library, 99Clinton Street, Schenectady
- Saturday June 11th 10:00-5:00PM 15th Annual Art on Lark 2011, Presented by the Lark Street BID, Albany
- Saturday June 18th 10:00- 6:00PM River Street Festival, Troy (Monument Sqaure at River St)